mini-Bakhtinian conference on Dialogic Pedagogy
Promises and Challenges of Dialogic Pedagogy
March 29-April 1, 2012
Clayton Hall Conference Center, Room#119
Registration fee: $120 (full) /$80 (students)
to cover expenses of drinking and small snacks
- Research in progress: Discussion of research challenges;
- Roundtable: challenges of dialogic pedagogy;
- Let’s dream about innovative dialogic pedagogy practice: What is not here yet but desirable;
- Empirical research sessions: 30-45 min presentation and 20 min discussion;
- Discussions of videotaped guidance;
- Innovations of dialogic pedagogy in Higher Education: How your scholarship informs your own teaching and how your teaching promotes your own scholarly inquiries;
- Theoretical research on dialogic pedagogy: 30-45 min presentation and 20 min discussion;
- Brainstorming about new conceptual and practical issues of dialogic pedagogy;
- Invited sessions: Which of the participants do you want to invite to talk, on what topic?
Registration (please try to register by March 15th, if possible)
Lodging: We recommend Super8 Motel - Newark , 268 East Main Street, Newark, DE, 19711 (phone: 1-302-737-5050), located in walking distance to the Clayton Hall, where the conference will be held, (1.2mile, 20-25 min). Rooms are equipped with Internet. Parking is available. Prices: $59.99+tax single, $69.99+tax double (breakfast is included). We recommend you to register by the mid of March but you can do it later (with some availability risk). It is rather modest motel (smoking and not smoking rooms are available).
If you want a bit more upscale hotel, we recommend Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware hotel, 400 David Hollowell Drive · Newark, Delaware 19716 USA (phone: 1-302-737-0900). It is located just next to the Clayton Hall, where the conference will be hold. Rooms are equipped with Internet. Parking is available. Prices: from $159.00+tax single (breakfast is included). We recommend you to register by the March 15th but you can do it later (with some availability risk).
Travel: If you are flying, we recommend flying to Philadelphia International Airport. BEWARE, there is another city called "Newark" in the US, but it is located NOT in the State of Delaware but in another, neighboring, State (New Jersey). Please reserve transportation ROUND TRIP in advance, before traveling! We recommend using Delaware Express. The cost of roundtrip form and to the Philadelphia International Airport starts with $45 (depending on your choice of vehicle). You can also rent a car with GPS (but you may not need it in Newark, DE, unless you want to see what is around).
If you travel from the Philadelphia International Airport, it will take about 40-45 min (unless the shuttle stops for other passengers). From New York city (JFK), it will take about 2.5-3 hours. From Newark, NJ, international airport, it is about 1.5-2 hours. From Baltimore-Washington International airport (BWI) or Reagan, Dulles, airport, it is will take about 3 hours.
For more information to travel to Newark, DE from New York City, BWI, Wilmington see here.
Conference Program (pdf) (updated: 2012-03-27, 6:32pm EST)
Contact Organizers: Dr. Ana Marjanovic-Shane anamshane__AT__gmail__DOT__COM; Dr. Eugene Matusov ematusov_AT__udel_DOT__edu